Official: FBI probing Pa. school webcam spy case
PHILADELPHIA – The FBI is investigating a Pennsylvania school district accused of secretly activating webcams inside students’ homes, a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case told The Associated Press on Friday.
This is a very troubling story, as computer whiz Rebecca Mercuri explains here:
Don’t know if you’ve been following the goings-on in PA with the “free” laptops that the school district was using to spy on its students (and their families). There’s been a lot of local, national, and international press on it, here’s one from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/education/8523807.stm
Reason I bring this up is because about a year or so ago, I started getting a creepy feeling about the Negroponte “One Laptop Per Child” (OLPC) mission when I learned a) that the “free” computers going out to the “underdeveloped countries” came with their microphones and video cameras turned on and b) that there was heavy government involvement in who was getting the computers. Of course Nicholas (the MIT Media Lab guy, and OLPC proponent) is the brother of John Negroponte (former Ambassador to Nicaragua who is attributed to having “carried out the covert strategy of the Reagan administration” there) — Nicholas kindly refers to John as having had a life of “public service” — while both siblings seem to have an “in” with the World Bank (need I say more). I was chided by some colleagues for having raised skepticism about the monitoring capabilities of the OLPC products at a Princeton Computer Society talk a while back. Of course, the events unfolding in Lower Merion PA are now a “proof of concept” of what I’d said, and my chums are now recognizing the real danger of it all. I’m pretty leery about the whole thing.
As you might guess, one doesn’t have to give out free computers to monitor kids (and their relatives) at home — some software that sniffs out (and turns on) any attached teleconferencing devices will work just as well — but it’s sure a lot easier if you don’t have to deal with variations in equipment and setups by just handing out computers with remote monitoring capabilities. The best part of the PA case was when the jelly beans the kid was eating were determined to be “drugs” by the school snoopers. Harrumph.
One has to wonder what else is going on that we should be suspicious of as computers become ubiquitous — it’s a CLASSIC Trojan Horse, and I don’t mean viral! All “gift horses” should be looked well into the mouth (and not taken home), I say.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.