From Lilibet Foster:
I’m sure you are following this story:
This also is taking place in NY. I asked my insurance company how my rates could be hiked up more than 25% in one year and the person who answered the phone agreed with me, said he’d had a lot of calls and more or less said that it has to do with the impending health care bill which would force them to lower rates. So they are raising the rates in anticipation of having to lower them. He was by no means an official of the company so I can’t quote him as an authority. However, in the meantime, I received a letter from United/Oxford saying that they were dropping a bunch of NY hospitals from their coverage including, Saint Vincents (which is in trouble) and NY Eye and Ear. I received a letter from NY Eye and Ear saying that they are still in contract negotiations with Oxford/United and the sticking points seem to be that Oxford/United is only paying a portion of reimbursements plus a few other things. (I have the letter that I can send to you).
I’d like to challenge the NY area health insurance companies like they are doing in California. Apparently, NY and NJ are the two most expensive and difficult markets for health care. I for one pay way too much and at the same time, am having services and coverage dropped and lowered every time I pay more. Do you know a group that is involved in the NY side of this issue that I may join?
Obama official ‘very disturbed’ by Anthem Blue Cross rate hikes
The insurer should give a ‘detailed justification’ for its plan to raise premiums on individual policies by as much as 39%, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius says.
California insurance regulators asked Anthem Blue Cross to delay controversial rate increases of as much as 39% for individual policies, hikes that have triggered widespread criticism from subscribers and brokers — and now from the federal government.
In a rare step, the Obama administration called on California’s largest for-profit insurer to justify its rate hikes, saying the increases were alarming at a time when subscribers face skyrocketing healthcare costs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Early America
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.