The media continues to describe Amy Bishop as “brilliant, but…” It’s therefore edifying to read through this meticulous analysis of Bishop’s academic contribution, which in no way indicates a “brilliant” mind.
It’s also edifying to see such formulas (e.g., “brilliant but erratic,” “brilliant but socially inept,” etc., etc.) pop up repeatedly, as the media’s labor pool keeps floating them regardless of their groundlessness–because they’re so damned easy, and appear to represent a kind of rational consensus, as everybody else is also using them.
Sure beats workin’!
Is Accused Murderer Dr. Amy Bishop An Academic Fraud, Delusional or Both?
Dr. Amy Bishop faces capital murder charges for three deaths when she reportedly opened fire during a
faculty meeting at the University of Alabama-Huntsville last Friday. Three other colleagues were also shot
and are hospitalized, at least two in critical condition. Early speculation says Dr. Bishop may have been motivated because she was reportedly denied tenure.
According to attorney and employment law expert Jayne Cucchiara, “tenure is the Holy Grail in academia.
It is perceived as a guarantee of job security. While tenured professors can be removed for cause, proving sufficient cause to discharge a tenured professor is almost always a very difficult burden to meet.”
“Most universities have a defined tenure application process,” employment lawyer Jayne Cucchiara explained. She said “the process typically begins with an application package prepared and submitted by a professor seeking tenure. The application package details teaching, research, publishing and institutional and community accomplishments that the tenure applicant believes warrant tenure. The tenure decision of the applicant’s Department Chair is generally given substantial deference when reviewed by a Dean level appointee in a university’s administration.”
3 Comments to “How is Amy Bishop “brilliant”?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.