When Tom Tancredo suggested that we go back to administering literacy tests for voters at the Tea Party Convention, the crowd went wild. Yes, the same literacy tests used in this country for over 70 years to stop black voters from casting their ballots.
We know that their tactics don’t stop there. In 2008, the right wing tried to turn away voters in Michigan whose addresses appeared on foreclosure lists. This action was not only illegal, but it preyed upon those hit hardest, and earliest, by the recession. Are you willing to allow Republicans to retain control over the administration of elections in Michigan?
We can be sure that in 2010, the right wing will try triply hard to continue to disenfranchise voters who have historically faced barriers to voting.
That’s why we’re launching our campaign to “Count Every Vote” in Michigan and endorsing a truly progressive candidate who has fought for voters’ rights there and across the country, Jocelyn Benson.
The Secretary of State Project is dedicated to electing chief elections officers who will protect every single voter’s rights, and Jocelyn Benson is no exception.
Benson started her career working in Montgomery, Alabama, the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement, where she was instilled with a sense of responsibility for continuing the work of the voting rights advocates who risked their lives so every person can exercise their rights to cast their vote. In 2008 she helped lead the fight to stop the Republican Secretary of State and the Republican Party from purging foreclosure victims from the voter files. Four years earlier, Benson ran a voter protection campaign in 21 states, deploying 17,000 trained election law lawyers across the country. This is the kind of leader we need in to protect voters in Michigan and across the country.
Dollar for dollar, the SoS Project is one of the most effective political investments you can make. We run smart, targeted campaigns with proven results in key battleground states. By making a small contribution today, you can make sure unethical Secretaries of State never get to suppress our votes again.
Why give early in Michigan? Early support in Michigan will allow us to help a truly progressive candidate to lock up the Democratic nomination for Secretary of State. This is our chance to make the fight win the Secretary of State race in 2010 about electing a progressive champion, not just about wresting control of Michigan elections away from Republican party operatives.
Thank you for all that you do to help protect the vote!
Co-Founder, Secretary of State Project
P.S. We’ll be supporting candidates in other states this cycle, but we’re launching our first campaign in Michigan so we can get an early start to support Jocelyn from now until election day in November. Will you help?
Paid for by the Secretary of State Project www.secstateproject.org and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.