From Troy Duster:
Regarding Clark Hoyt of the New York Times, here is another matter to consider:
When the Chinese were caught selling tainted food, it was a front-page story in the Times,
and big news everywhere.
Today, we have another tainted food story–and this one is a doozy, involving not just
sloppy and inadquequate inspections, but outright bribery. And this is not a foreign scandal,
but all-American, involving “a top ingredient buyer” at Kraft Foods, headquartered near
So where did the Times place this story? On the front page of the Business section, most
of it below the fold. And it’s not mentioned at the bottom of Page One, where the only Business
story noted is, “Mr. Toyoda Says He’s Sorry.”
February 25, 2010
Bribes Let Tomato Vendor Sell Tainted Food
By WILLIAM NEUMAN
Robert Watson, a top ingredient buyer for Kraft Foods, needed $20,000 to pay his taxes. So he called a broker for a California tomato processor that for years had been paying him bribes to get its products into Kraft’s plants.
The check would soon be in the mail, the broker promised. “We’ll have to deduct it out of your commissions as we move forward,” he said, using a euphemism for bribes.
Days later, federal agents descended on Kraft’s offices near Chicago and confronted Mr. Watson. He admitted his role in a bribery scheme that has laid bare a startling vein of corruption in the food industry. And because the scheme also involved millions of pounds of tomato products with high levels of mold or other defects, the case has raised serious questions about how well food manufacturers safeguard the quality of their ingredients.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- What we’ve done to Iraq with our DU is “genocide,” their doctors rightly say
- WashPost (channeling Langley) slanders Gary Webb AGAIN
- “Cellphones wrecked my health,” says Nokia’s former tech chief
- Remember SCOTUS making BushCo “president”? Now they’ve fixed the Texas midterms…
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- WiFi sickens teacher, students in Los Angeles (school permits no incident reports)
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.