Steve Rosenfeld documents how actual (would-be) voters have been disfranchised in Indiana.
BushCo’s SCOTUS will hear oral arguments on this Jim Crow legislation on Jan. 9.
The Most Important Election Case Since Bush v. Gore?
By Steven Rosenfeld, AlterNet
Posted on November 20, 2007
New voter ID card-related barriers stopped legitimate voters earlier this
month in Indiana, where the Supreme Court is reviewing the constitutionality
of its voter ID law.
Ray Wardell, a 78-year-old Korean War veteran, could not get a new state
voter ID card after his wallet was stolen because Indiana’s Bureau of Motor
Vehicles (BMV) would not accept his Medicare card — even though the BMV
accepted that photo ID instead of his birth certificate a year before.
Wardell ended up voting with a provisional ballot, but that will not be
counted unless the disabled veteran appears before county election officials
with further identification.
Mike Westervelt, a Purdue University student and city editor of the campus
newspaper, was told by BMV employees they would not accept his New Jersey
driver’s license as one of three necessary documents to get an Indiana voter
ID card — even though the Secretary of State’s website listed out-of-state
licenses as acceptable. Westervelt said — and voting rights lawyers
affirmed — that the section of Indiana law cited by BMV to deny a voter ID
card contained no prohibitions on out-of-state licenses. He too voted
provisionally, and is trying to resolve issues with his county election
board before his vote is counted.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.