Victory in Statesboro!
The challenges to student votes were withdrawn – but Voter Caging
Call your Senators at
TODAY – before Congress leaves for recess!
Yesterday, Bulloch County officials notified Georgia Election
Protection leader Charles Lester about the withdrawal of all
challenges against student voters in Statesboro, Georgia!
The challenges were withdrawn, but the problem remains: Statesboro
Citizens for Good Government, a group of only four Statesboro
residents, were able to effectively suppress student turnout.
According to the Associated Press, more than 60% of the challenged
voters did not show up at the polls.
The Caging Prohibition Act would make these blanket challenges
illegal. Call your Senator at 1-866-459-1220 and tell them to pass
the bill as soon as possible!
It’s easy – just call our Hotline at 1-866-459-1220:
1. Enter your zip code, and we will connect you to your Senators.
Congress will be leaving for recess Friday afternoon – make sure they
hear from you today!
2. Tell the staffer who answers your call that:
As a constituent, I care about free and fair elections, and stand
firmly against unfair practices that suppress voters – like “voter
I have heard about a recent instance of voter caging in Statesboro,
GA that unfairly blocked and discouraged hundreds of student votes,
and I am deeply concerned.
Voter caging has gone on for too long. That’s why I support new
legislation, introduced by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, called the
Caging Prohibition Act of 2007. We must act now to protect voters
ahead the 2008 elections.
3. Tell us how your call went!
Click here to let us know if you got through to your representatives.
At least 600 of the challenged students did not even cast their
ballots. Voter caging and other unfair practices succeed in
intimidating and discouraging voters from even showing up at the
The Caging Prohibition Act is an important step toward fair
elections. Only a critical mass will make this a legislative priority!
Thank you for voicing your support for the students in Statesboro,
and voters across the country.
National Campaign for Fair Elections
Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.