Subject He doesn’t deserve it
Waterboarding is torture. Torture is unacceptable. Period.
If Michael Mukasey won’t stand up to President Bush and tell him that, then he doesn’t deserve to be Attorney General.
I can’t in good conscience support his nomination, and I’m asking you to join me.
The Department of Justice lost its way under Alberto Gonzales, becoming a rubber stamp for Bush administration policies that ignored the rule of law.
The consequences have been alarming. The White House has defended torture, engaged in massive surveillance of U.S. citizens, and covered up activities with a veil of secrecy.
Our country can’t afford another Alberto Gonzales.
After meeting with Judge Mukasey and listening to his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I strongly doubt his ability – or desire – to reverse the disturbing trends his predecessor encouraged. What I heard was the same sort of evasiveness and disregard for the rule of law that led to Alberto Gonzales’ resignation.
Judge Mukasey refuses to call waterboarding an act of torture and condemn the practice. He also suggested that the Geneva Conventions may not apply to enemies we capture – a view that has been soundly rejected by the Supreme Court.
I fear that Mukasey would pick up where Alberto Gonzales left off: serving as the President’s personal lawyer instead of the chief law enforcement officer of the United States. We need an Attorney General who will stand up for the American people and the American Constitution – not just the American President.
We can’t let this happen. Stand with me in opposing Michael Mukasey’s nomination for Attorney General:
Mukasey’s troubling views don’t stop at torture. He’s made it clear that he supports broad Presidential powers, including the ability to detain U.S. citizens without charges and to illegally conduct surveillance on U.S. citizens without a warrant.
Mukasey has also shown too little respect for Americans’ civil rights. As a judge, he often ruled against victims of discrimination – and many of his rulings were later reversed. When I asked Mukasey about his plan for revitalizing the Justice Department’s weakened Civil Rights Division, his answer was vague and noncommittal.
These aren’t the traits and priorities the United States needs in its next Attorney General.
After the failure of Alberto Gonzales, we must give the American people an Attorney General with the independence, the judgment, and the commitment to fairness and equality they expect.
Michael Mukasey is not that person. Join me in calling for an Attorney General who respects the rule of law:
Senator Edward M. KennedyPaid for by The Committee for a Democratic Majority
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.