Resurgent Taliban closing in on Kabul
Militants seen educated in cyber training camps
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34am EST
By Luke Baker
LONDON (Reuters) – The conflict in Afghanistan has reached “crisis
proportions”, with the resurgent Taliban present in more than half
the country and closing in on Kabul, a report said on Wednesday.
If NATO, the lead force operating in Afghanistan, is to have any
impact against the insurgency, troop numbers will have to be doubled
to at least 80,000, the report said.
“The Taliban has shown itself to be a truly resurgent force,” the
Senlis Council, an independent think-tank with a permanent presence
in Afghanistan, wrote in a study entitled “Stumbling into Chaos:
Afghanistan on the brink”.
“Its ability to establish a presence throughout the country is now
proven beyond doubt,” it said. “The insurgency now controls vast
swaths of unchallenged territory including rural areas, some district
centers, and important road arteries.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.