November 25, 2007 at 07:34:17
Don’t buy new machines and dump the old ones!
by Sheila Parks
In USA v. New York State Board of Elections, et al. (US District
Court,Northern District of NY, Civil Action No. 06-CV-0263)
Department of Justice (DOJ) Attorney Brian Heffernan argues that even
though no electronic voting systems exist that meet NY’s voting
technology standards, NY must use the faulty technology.
The right to vote, and the principle of “one person, one vote,” are
cornerstones of our democracy. The anti-slavery, women’s suffrage,
and civil rights movements, as well as the expansion of voting to
young people, are all part of the history of voting rights in this
country. Equally fundamental is the assurance that each voter knows
that her or his vote counts and is counted as intended. At this time
in our history, many have lost confidence in our voting system. This
confidence must be restored.
Last year, I observed five hand-counted paper ballots (HCPB)
elections: three in Massachusetts, one in Vermont and one in Maine.
All five hand-countings of the paper ballots were conducted smoothly,
without any hassles and were finished in a timely manner. Although
HCPB do not address the egregious suppression of the vote, coupling
the elimination of this suppression with HCPB is the only way we will
have fair, honest, transparent elections.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.