If they were going to fire him, he ought to have stayed fired.
In any case, this makes quite clear that there’s no shame in racism
(or anything else), if there’s a big enough profit to be made.
Why is Imus back in the game?
Los Angeles Times
November 18, 2007
He got $20 million, a vacation and a new contract.
What kind of punishment is that?
By Dave Zirin
After a nine-month vacation, radio shock jock Don Imus
will be back on the air in December. Perhaps you
thought that Imus’ comments calling the Rutgers
University women’s basketball team “nappy-headed hos”
would have rendered him untouchable — that at best he
would find a home in the outer banks of satellite
But no. Instead, the man who seamlessly blended wonkish
Beltway interviews with crude racist and sexist shock
jockery will be returning to his old life, this time
shaming the WABC airwaves in New York and, presumably,
being syndicated across the country. Imus’ punishment
in retrospect appears like a massage on the wrist: He
received a $20-million settlement from CBS for cutting
his contract short, he took a nine-month vacation, and
now he’s returning to commercial radio.
Time certainly hasn’t healed all wounds. Deepa Kumar, a
media studies professor at Rutgers, said to me
recently: “Imus’ return to radio exposes in no
uncertain terms how low the corporate media will sink
to make a profit. For students and faculty at Rutgers
who organized to get Imus fired from CBS Radio, this is
a slap in the face.”
No Comments to “He's back”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.