This tactic has the name of NATHAN SPROUL all over it. (For details,
see Fooled Again, pp. 157-66.
We’ve caught the dirty tricksters on video.
As you know, California Counts — a cabal of right-wing political
operatives linked to Rudy Giuliani — is working hard to steal the
White House (again) in 2008. They want to fool California voters into
changing the rules so Giuliani — or some other regressive Republican
presidential nominee — can rob at least 20 Electoral College votes
from California next November.
When Steven Attewell, an eagle-eyed member of the blog Daily Kos,
alerted me that California Counts petition-gatherers at UC Santa
Barbara were gathering signatures to help “children with cancer,” I
headed out to investigate.
And, sure enough, when I looked carefully at what they wanted me to
sign, I noticed that “children with cancer” was just a sneaky tactic
to get people to sign the so-called “Electoral College Reform
Initiative” — what we call the dirty trick initiative.
Now, Secretary of State Debra Bowen is considering whether to open an
investigation — if enough of us come forward with stories like what
I saw at UCSB.
Click here to watch my YouTube video of the sneaky petitioners trying to
trick college students. If you’ve seen a signature gatherer using
sneaky tactics to obtain signatures for the Dirty Trick Initiative,
please let us know and we will pass on the information to Secretary
It’s against the law to obscure or misrepresent petitions. Saying
“I’m helping children with cancer” to get people to sign a petition
about changing the Electoral College is just plain wrong — and it
might be illegal.
As Secretary Bowen’s office told the Daily Nexus, the UCSB newspaper,
they will open an investigation into the “California Counts” campaign
if enough people come forward with information about wrongdoing:
“Secretary Bowen takes allegations of elections fraud seriously,”
[Bowen Press Secretary Kate] Folmar wrote. “She encourages anyone who
has witnessed a violation of the California Elections Code to contact
the Secretary of State’s Fraud Investigations Unit. Potential
violations brought to the fraud unit’s attention are thoroughly
investigated and referred for prosecution when there is sufficient
evidence of wrongdoing.”
The Courage Campaign is in touch with the Secretary of State’s Fraud
Investigations Unit and will be passing on my video to aid in any
Send this YouTube to your friends and tell them to keep their eyes peeled
for dirty tricksters when they go holiday shopping this weekend. If
you encounter a petitioner trying to trick you with a line about
“children with cancer,” then click here to report when and where you
saw the dirty tricksters:
Let’s put these California Counts signature gatherers on notice and
collect evidence for the Secretary of State to launch a formal
Thanks for taking the time to help us kill this dirty trick. Again.
P.S.: Keep up to date with all of the latest information about the
dirty tricks initiative at:
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.