Here’s yet another harrowing video–and this time the cop’s victim was no loud protester trying to make a scene, and not a troubled woman throwing a tantrum in an airport terminal, and not some dark-skinned person with a scary accent and/or Arabic surname. This time, the victim was a white guy with a decent job (apparently), a doting family and a nice big car; and he couldn’t have been more polite or rational in dealing with the cop who tasered him (from behind), cuffed him and drove off with him, on the basis of no provocation whatsoever.
Thus it’s happening already, just as it has always done, eventually, wherever fear has helped a government take over. Suddenly they’re not just going after those who fit the profile of the Enemy–those who “had it coming, after all,” and whose protests we therefore fail to hear. Now, suddenly, it’s you whom the police are beating up and dragging off to jail; and now your protests too make not the slightest difference.
Let me say that I don’t much admire the blogger’s gloss on all of this. It’s self-indulgent, and a bit pretentious; and I don’t see any point in jeering at the cop for his presumed illiteracy. The problem is far larger than that one man’s thuggery–which is now dangerous because there are so many other lowly cops out there just like him, thanks to the new ruling caste of thugs who’ve seized the White House, and the courts, and much of Congress. All these trigger-happy troopers have been carefully worked up against the rest of us, by Bush and Cheney, Roberts, Thomas and Scalia, Giuliani and the DoJ, FOX News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and all the rest of them.
Meanwhile, the Democrats just sit there, merely diddling while the Constitution burns.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.