from the November 20, 2007 edition – America’s addiction to sports
It’s profoundly unhealthy to our schools, our bodies, and ourselves.
By Jonathan Zimmerman
Last week, when a federal grand jury indicted baseball star Barry
Bonds for perjury, it confirmed an ugly truth: America’s got a big
I’m not talking about steroids, Mr. Bonds’ alleged
performance-enhancer of choice. Instead, I’m talking about athletics
themselves. Americans are addicted to competitive sports in ways that
are profoundly unhealthy to our schools, our bodies, and ourselves.
And until we confront that problem, head-on, steroids will continue
to plague us.
Consider this simple fact: Although every shred of evidence shows
that adolescents do not learn well before 9 a.m., US high schools
start the day at around 7:30 a.m. Why? To make room for afternoon
sports practice, of course.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.