It’s Election Day, and Georgia Southern University students are getting a crash course in voter suppression.
In Statesboro, GA, 909 registered student voters have been told they can’t vote, or their votes might not count, because they might not meet residency requirements. To legitimately challenge a voter, the state requires the challenger to know that a voter is ineligible and to articulate why. 909 identical challenges doesn’t sound legitimate, it sounds like targeting.
Something is rotten in Statesboro. Clearly, some people want to stop these students from voting, and they’re getting away with it. Challenging voter residency is an effective voter suppression tactic – it’s underhanded, it happens all the time, and it’s not illegal.
But you can help. In the last 24 hours, members of Congress introduced legislation that would address this exact problem – in Statesboro, and the entire country.Tell Congress to support the Caging Prohibition Act, and demand that voter registration challengers be held accountable.
Because of these baseless purges, hundreds of GSU students are being forced to cast paper ballots today. It is not clear how the registrar will determine which votes should be counted. And there’s no guarantee their votes will be counted at all. Hundreds of legitimate votes could be tossed out today!
“Voter caging” has gone on for decades. It’s a simple tactic that targets inexperienced voters like students, as well as new registrants. Now Congress is finally ready to do something about it.
The Caging Prohibition Act would require any private party who challenges the right of another citizen to vote (or register to vote) to set forth in writing, under penalty of perjury, the specific grounds for the alleged ineligibility.Sign our petition and support the Caging Prohibition Act TODAY!
The principle here is simple: we must stand up for the fundamental right of all voters to cast a meaningful ballot.
Voter suppression is not just a concern in 2008. It’s happening TODAY.Take action today, and stand up for the voting rights of students in Statesboro and all over the country.
National Campaign for Fair Elections
Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Support the National Campaign for Fair Elections – Donate today!
No Comments to “900 votes suppressed at Georgia Southern U.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.