by Joan Brunwasser Page 1 of 2 page(s)
|reddit_url=’http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_joan_bru_071023_issues_of_accountabi.htm’; reddit_title=’Issues of Accountability and Brave New Films\’ “The Real Rudy: Radios”‘||digg_url=’http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_joan_bru_071023_issues_of_accountabi.htm’; digg_title=’Issues of Accountability and Brave New Films\’ “The Real Rudy: Radios”‘; digg_bodytext=’This documentary from Robert Greenwald and Brave New Films is less than seven minutes long.Within that small package,the case against Rudy is efficiently and effectively laid out using interviews and film clips.Remarkably free of hysteria considering that the grieving families are among those interviewed, the film poses questions that need answers.’; digg_topic=’politics’;||
I saw Michael Clayton last night. The issue of accountability, or the lack thereof, threads its way throughout the movie. Simply put, no one is willing to take responsibility for anything. And, depressingly true to life, there seems to be an inverse correlation between taking responsibility and the rich and powerful, as those with more power run away from it the fastest. Thereâ€™s the Westchester big wig who calls in Clooney, the fixer, to clean up the mess he left behind at a hit and run. And Don Jeffries â€“ the CEO of UNorth, the agrobusiness giant â€“ who signs and then suppresses a report laying out the health hazards of their product. And donâ€™t forget UNorthâ€™s top lawyer who sweeps the problems under the rug by outsourcing wiretapping, surveillance, and eventually murder. Even the title figure Clooney portrays does not eagerly don his superhero cape. He is dragged in after his friend and colleague is murdered, and he himself barely survives a car bombing. While Clooneyâ€™s character sticks up for the little guys in the end, itâ€™s only once he begins to question what has become of his life that his values start to shift and realign. These days, we are so desperate that weâ€™ll take any hero we can get, even one who only inadvertently does the right thing. Machiavelli is the new American idol, everyone has a price, and whistleblowers are an endangered species. Look around. This is the poisonous atmosphere that the current administration has perfected.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Early America
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.