Is the Justice Department Conducting Latino Outreach on Behalf of the GOP?
By Steven Rosenfeld, AlterNet
Posted on October 22, 2007, Printed on October 22, 2007
Earlier this month, the Department of Justice’s top official overseeing
voting rights, John Tanner, made some insensitive comments about elderly and
minority voters at a Latino forum in Los Angeles, raising eyebrows in the
voting rights community and prompting Democratic presidential candidate Sen.
Barack Obama to call for his ouster on Friday.
But the greater outrage, according to civil rights lawyers across the
country, is how the Department’s Voting Section has turned away from
defending minorities that are seen as supporting Democrats — African
Americans and Native Americans — while instead focusing on another minority
that is seen as a Republican swing vote — Latinos.
“It may be cynical, but it may also be true,” said Julie Fernandes, senior
policy analyst and special counsel for the Leadership Conference on Civil
Rights, “that the enforcement for Latinos has been more vigorous because
they see it as more in their political interest — their partisan interest.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.