Attorney-Gate Probe to Continue Without Domenici
By Jason Leopold and Matt Renner
t r u t h o u t | Report
Wednesday 17 October 2007
The White House’s Office of Special Counsel (OSC), which has been conducting its own investigation into the firing of at least eight US attorneys last year, has been unable to obtain documents from the Justice Department (DOJ) to advance its probe into the matter, three people with knowledge of the issue said on Tuesday.
The OSC sent a request to the DOJ several months ago seeking a wide-range of documents, including email correspondence between DOJ and White House officials who had discussed which US attorneys should be selected for dismissal. The OSC set a deadline for turning over the documents. However, the deadline has since passed and the DOJ has not formally responded to the OSC’s request, nor has the agency stated a reason it would not turn over documents. The OSC appears to have been particularly interested in obtaining documents from the DOJ surrounding the circumstances that led to Iglesias’s ouster, said individuals knowledgeable about the inner workings of the OSC probe.
A spokesperson for the DOJ did not return telephone calls or reply to emails seeking comment.
The Senate Ethics Committee will likely not conduct a formal investigation into the conduct of New Mexico Republican Sen. Pete Domenici. Domenici admitted calling David Iglesias, the state’s former US attorney, a few weeks before last November’s midterm election about the timing of an indictment against a popular Democratic official in the state who was the target of a corruption investigation, according to two people who work closely with the Senate Ethics Committee.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.