George W. Bush’s spirited encounters
Friday, September 14, 2007
By Tony Norman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Recent headlines generated by Robert Draper’s new book, “Dead Certain: The Presidency of George W. Bush,” have dealt with Karl Rove’s opposition to Dick Cheney’s selection as vice president, the Mountain-Biker-in-Chief’s exhaustion during a key Katrina briefing and his bouts of crying “on God’s shoulders” as the Iraq war faltered.
A passage that hasn’t garnered much attention — but should have — offers insight into the president’s grasp on, um, ectoplasmic issues.
In 1992, when the president’s father was running to keep his job as president, George W. Bush made regular use of the White House as a place of refuge from the responsibilities of the world — a practice that continues to this day. This is how Mr. Draper tells it:
“On this particular evening, Poppy and Bar were away for the evening. For the first time in his life, Bush had the run of the White House. The Secret Service detail gave the president’s son a few pointers on their way out the door. There’s some security downstairs. And the steward’s on call. Otherwise, he was on his own.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.