From: Sree S.
Date: September 14, 2007 1:56:04 PM EDT
To: “J-School Faculty List”
Subject: [faculty] PRESS FREEDOM: A Syracuse journalism student responds to her security run-in
An incident our students should be aware of…
– – – – From SAJAforum, the newsy SAJA blog – new desi stuff daily:
[If you’d like to reprint Mariam’s essay or contact her, please e-mail saja[at]columbia[dot]edu – you can link to it, of course, without contacting us]
PRESS FREEDOM: A Student Journalist Responds to Her Security Run-in
On the afternoon of Thursday, Sept. 6, 2007, a SAJA student member named Mariam Jukaku found herself getting her a real-world lesson on the intersection of press freedom and national security. From the Syracuse Post-Standard story the next day:
A Syracuse University graduate student taking photographs outside
the VA Medical Center says she was questioned and ordered to delete several images by hospital security officers Thursday afternoon.
Mariam Jukaku, 24, of Michigan, said the officers also photocopied her university ID and driver’s license and asked if she was a U.S. citizen. She wonders if her appearance played a part in how the incident was handled.
Jukaku, a U.S. citizen of Indian descent, said she is Muslim and wears a head scarf.
“I got actually kind of annoyed. I felt that the question had no relevance,” she said of being asked about her citizenship. “That’s when I started wondering, ‘Maybe someone who didn’t look like me might be treated differently.’ “
Gordon Sclar, a medical center spokesman, said security officers were following hospital policy that restricts photographs on hospital property. He said Jukaku was between the sidewalk and the parking lot. She said she stayed on the sidewalk.
Her appearance was not an issue, Sclar said.
“There is a policy that requires if video or photographic equipment is being used on our property and we don’t know about it, (the operators) will be questioned,” Sclar said.
“It’s a government building and we’re living in challenging times,” he added.
But Sclar said photocopying her ID was not necessary and there is “zero tolerance” for discrimination.
“Removing the images that she shot was inappropriate, so we apologize,” Sclar said. <<<<
SAJAforum asked Jukaku to write about her experience and she sent us the thoughtful essay below. An excerpt:
“No one is asking security guards or law enforcement officials to be less vigilant when it comes to protecting the public. But intimidating a student snapping some photographs of the American flag does not protect the public and it certainly does not protect democracy.”
Please read the essay and post your comments. If you’d like to reproduce the essay, please e-mail saja[at]columbia[dot]edu and we will put you in touch with her (if you click on the photo above, you can get a hi-rez version).
A Lesson on the Intersection of Press Freedom and National Security
By Mariam Jukaku
See the full essay at http://www.sajaforum.org/2007/09/press-freedom-a.html
[ See more than 600 postings on dozens of topics at http://www.sajaforum.org ]
This is the Columbia Journalism School Faculty mailing list. Please be aware that some information sent to this list may be confidential.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.