... and why Bob Gates got Rummy's job.
Rumsfeld's Mysterious Resignation
By Robert Parry
August 17, 2007
The disclosure that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld resigned on Nov. 6, 2006 - the day
before the election, not the day after as previously thought - means that he was pushed out
of his job the same day he suggested a de-escalation of the Iraq War.
When Rumsfeld's resignation was announced on Nov. 8, with both his resignation letter and his
de-escalation memo still secret, it was widely assumed in Washington political circles that
President George W. Bush was reacting to the stinging Republican electoral defeat on Nov. 7
and was appointing Robert Gates as an olive branch to the Democrats.
The reality now appears to be almost the exact opposite. Bush was preparing for an Iraq War
escalation and was looking for a fresh face as Defense Secretary to buy him the necessary time
to accomplish this extraordinary political maneuver. Bush also may have recognized the
damage that might have come if Rumsfeld's war doubts became known.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.