Public Blames Media for Too Much Celebrity Coverage
Celebrity scandals receive too much news coverage, say an overwhelming majority of the public (87 percent), and very few (2 percent) say there is too little celebrity scandal coverage, according to a recent national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, writes MarketingCharts.
Moreover, the public’s interests and the news media’s coverage were not completely in sync, at least during the end of July, when the Pew study took place. Interest in the Iraq war remained high among the public, in spite of relatively little news coverage of it, Pew said.
Fully a quarter of the public said the Iraq war was the single news story they followed more closely than any other at the end of July, making it the public’s top news story. However, the national news media devoted just 3 percent of its overall coverage to the war, or the sixth most heavily covered news story of the week.
Along with the (now stalled) rush toward massive conglomeration and the (accelerating) rash of budget-cutting in news-gathering operations, perhaps the two most visible trends across nearly all mainstream US media in recent decades have been an increasing inclination toward tabloid-style coverage coupled with an intense effort to win over conservative critics of alleged liberal media bias.
Both have been routinely justified by the media moguls by what they deem to be the demands of the marketplace. “We’d like to report on important stuff,” goes the argument, “but these bozos want Paris and Britney, preferably with Rush or O’Reilly reporting.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.