Two years ago in June 2005, the New York State Legislature adopted some of the strictest requirements for new electronic voting systems in the country. This June, in the last week of the session, lobbyists for the voting machine vendors are pushing a back door amendment drafted by Microsoft attorneys that would effectively gut the source code review protections provided in our current law. New Yorkers must not allow this to happen – you must act now.
Early in the week of June 18, the last week of the Legislative session, a bill will be introduced to correct “technical problems” with an earlier law changing New York’s Presidential primary date. But this bill will contain a poisonous provision that effectively removes the possibility of meaningful review of electronic voting system software. In the last 2 months, Microsoft and the voting machine vendors have conducted a full court press in Albany, trying to make OUR Election Law suit THEIR interests. We can’t let that happen.
Read the full story here in my blog and New York State newspapers:
Take Action Now! – It’s urgent that you call your State Senator and Assembly representative this Monday and Tuesday, June 18 and 19, at their Albany offices, and tell them they must not weaken New York State’s voting machine escrow and review requirements. Remind them that the Legislature can be proud of passing a strong law 2 years ago – they must stand by that decision and not give in to pressure by voting machine vendors who seek to undermine these essential protections.
In this last hectic week of the Legislative session, a lot of damage can be done to all we’ve achieved in the fight for secure, transparent, verifiable elections. Unless we act now, New York State’s strict electronic voting machine laws could be gutted by the end of the week. Please call your Representatives in Albany this Monday and Tuesday, June 18 and 19.
Find your Assembly member’s contact information here:
(Not sure who your Assembly member is? Click here to search by Zip Code)
Find your State Senator’s contact information here:
(Not sure who your State Senator is? Click here to search by Zip Code)
New Yorkers for Verified Voting
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.