The New York State Supreme Court has ruled on Suffolk County Executive Steven Levy’s suit maintaining that the County is allowed to keep it’s lever machines under NY’s Election Reform and Modernization Act (ERMA), now part of State Election Law.The Court ruled that ERMA is clear -“effective September 1, 2007, all lever voting machines are to be replaced with the new systems authorized by ERMA.” This puts an end to the contention that NYS Election Law as currently written allows lever machines to be continued to use. This outcome was expected as Suffolk’s suit depended on a highly questionable interpretation of NYS Law. The Court found the ERMA language clear and unambiguous.The Court left open the issue of whether counties can be compelled to order voting machines prior to the State Board of Elections issuing a list of certified machines.As it currently stands, the New York State Legislature will need to revise the existing September 2007 deadline for new machines before the end of their session in June. Since it is clear that NYS will not have any machines certified by September, the continued use of lever machines is the most reasonable short term option.It is expected that the Legislature will at a minimum change the current hard deadline to a more flexible form which allows use of the levers for a few more years. Whether the Legislature will consider changing the regulation completely and allow continued use of lever machines indefinitely remains to be seen, although it’s clear that such a move would be supported by the majority of New York State voters.-Bo Lipari
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.