It’s Not Just an Abortion Ban:
The Christian Right’s Global Agenda
May 1, 2007
By Yifat Susskind, MADRE Communications Director
After the initial shock of the recent Supreme Court
ruling upholding President Bush’s abortion ban, it’s
time to acknowledge the full reality of the decision.
According to the American College of Obstetrics and
Gynecologists–which represents 90 percent of OB/GYNs
in the US–the ruling is harmful to women’s health. But
the Court’s decision is about much more than a woman’s
right to safely end a pregnancy. That’s because today’s
Supreme Court is a product of the Bush Administration
(newcomer Justices Roberts and Alito tipped the
decision); and the Bush Administration is a product of
the Christian Right. Anyone who has been watching the
Christian Right chip away at abortion access and the
separation of church and state knows that criminalizing
abortion is just the tip of the Christian-
fundamentalist iceberg and that their agenda is global
Globalizing the Culture War
Today, Regent, the flagship university of the openly
theocratic wing of the Christian Right, has 150 alumni
working in the Bush Administration. Their alma mater’s
mission: to provide “Christian leadership to change the
world.” Overturning Roe v. Wade in the US has been
their signature preoccupation, but as missionaries, the
battlefield of the Christian Right is the whole world.
Christian Right activists recognized years ago that
they weren’t winning any decisive battles in the
domestic “culture war.” But they also noticed that the
mainstream women’s movement was largely absent from
foreign policy debates. Compared with domestic
politics, foreign policy was a feminist-free zone–so
the Christian Right moved in.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.