Three pieces below:
1. Earl Ofari Hutchinson on black misogyny
2. Mary MacElveen on Coulter/Limbaugh
3. Amy Goodman on freeing the US media
Imus Got His Trash Talk Pass Yanked, Now Yank it for Blacks
Who Talk The Same
By Earl Ofari Hutchinson, New America Media
Posted on April 10, 2007, Printed on April 11, 2007
“Can U Control Yo ‘H.'” The video commercial of the high priest of gangster
rap Snoop Doggy Dogg demands on his CD “R&G: (Rhythm and Gangsta).” Then Dr.
Dre in the cut “Housewife” on his 2001 CD “Dr Dre 2001,” says, “Naw ‘h’ is
short for honey.” Next rappers Beanie Sigel says, “Watch Your ‘Bs'” on his
def Jam release, and 50 Cent commands, “‘B’ choose with me” on his 2003 top
ten track P.I.M.P.
April 12, 2007
The Punishment of Imus: What about Coulter and Limbaugh?
By Mary MacElveen
In the wake of the firing of Don Imus, while I applaud NBC and MSNBC for at least doing the right thing, in this country, there is systemic problem when people would even think that language like that is funny. Any apology if given frequently holds little meaning and sincerity. After a while it becomes just words without feeling behind it. He is not the first and only one, and will not be the last. But, what he said on his radio simulcast pails in comparison to the many demonic rants of Ann Coulter.
Her last bout of name calling was when she called former Senator John Edwards a “faggot” at a CPAC convention and while many took it to mean a form of Gay bashing, she was invited on to numerous talk shows to explain herself. She stated that she meant it as a school-yard taunt and given her character, I just do not believe her explanation. Exactly where was the wall-to-wall coverage showing any public outrage to her statement? It was no where to be seen. No one treated her as a pariah as is being done with Imus.
After her book came out, “Godless: The Church of Liberalism”, she called four widows of 9/11 “witches” yet no one said, we will not have Ann Coulter on. If we are to pay homage to those that died on that horrific day, she should have been shunned like the Amish do within their society when someone has brought disgrace upon it.
Take Back the Airwaves
By Amy Goodman, King Features Syndicate
Posted on April 11, 2007, Printed on April 12, 2007
As the TV pundits on the networks gab about the tens of millions of dollars raised by the top presidential candidates, what they don’t talk about is where that money is going: to their own networks.
Money is now considered the single most important factor in our electoral process. Ideas and issues take a back seat to the bottom line. This prostitution of our electoral process has one key culprit: television advertising.
Political advertising makes or breaks candidates, and it takes a huge amount of money to implement a national advertising strategy. Now more than 20 states are piling onto Feb. 5, 2008, as their primary day, including states like California and New York with large, expensive media markets. The early, deciding role of money and television advertising in determining who gets to run for president is secure.
No Comments to “Starting with Don Imus…”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.