RIghts have some REALLY interesting properties that are highly relevant to legislation and debating legislation.
1. They can invalidate that legislation, IN COURT. (But we do not want to have the right violated for months or years before this happens, and have to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawyers fees, so we don’t PREFER this option, it’s preferable to fight for the rights up front)
2. They are not subject to significant compromise – a compromised right is a VIOLATED right. In legal lingo, it is called “Burdening” the right, which is illegal or unconstitutional as the case may be.
3. Rights would not be rights if they did not prevail or TRUMP when in conflict with other considerations or interests. One does not have a right AT ALL if the opposition of even 70% of the american public would result in the non-occurrence or non-enforcement of the RIGHT. A right means a court will compel the granting of the right no matter what the state or the public thinks.
4. If the rights are constitutional or foundational fundamental rights, they COMMAND OR CALL UPON our support as Americans since we are all politically obliged to uphold the constitution (or change it) and elections officials especially have sworn an oath to uphold it. In other words, it’s not necessarily OPTIONAL for anyone or everyone. The democracy tent can hold 100 different political parties and points of view. As a private citizen you are free to deny fundamental rights
and principles or ignore them deliberately, but then others are free to call you unamerican, because these are core, inclusive american values.
5. Fundamental rights like voting rights are powerfully moving and inspirational to most Americans.
6. Given that fundamental American rights and principles prevail in the end and trump, and even if denied leave one in a VERY POWERFUL POSITION to argue from, to compromise those rights or give up on them is fairly considered SURRENDER without so much as a REAL FIGHT. We’re talking about things on people’s minds when they died, so these rights are hardly the political playthings of a movement that wants to notch a compromise victory in order to feel good about itself.
Paul R Lehto, Juris Doctor
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Media Channel
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.