The Holt Bill demands that in exchange for a paper trail, we must transfer control of elections to White House appointees.”
–Bev Harris, Founder of BlackboxVoting.org
Regulatory powers would enable the EAC to effectively bypass Congress and create law that preempts Constitutional state sovereignty in election administration. This would allow four White House appointees to determine:
- Which voting systems are approved for use in our elections
- Who counts the votes, and how votes are counted
- How recounts are conducted and outcomes decided
This is a clear and present danger to American democracy.
We cannot allow it!
Halt H.R. 811!
But just like No Child Left Behind, The Healthy Forests Act, and The Patriot Act, the name doesn’t match the reality.
The Holt bill opens a back door to permanent electronic voting in every polling place in America, by mandating a new generation of unnecessary, unproven computerized voting technology, adding more secret software to our elections, and sending at least another $4 billion in taxpayer money to the electronic voting industry.–and–
H.R. 811 gives permanent control over the nation’s voting equipment to the Election Assistance Commission (EAC)
— four White House appointees!
- PEN Tool to Write Press and Congress
- Model Letter and Talking Points Provided
- Downloadable Factsheets
- E-mail, Phone, and FAX for Congress
For more on what’s DEAD WRONG with H.R. 811, see
EDA 811 Resource Page Thirteen Significant Problems in H.R. 811
by Nancy Tobi HR 811: Ten Blunders in A Deceptive Boondoggle
by Bruce O’Dell Critical Annotation of H.R. 811
by Bev Harris
I write in opposition to the Holt Bill, H.R. 811, which promises “increased voter confidence” but actually perpetuates secret vote-counting by computers while handing centralized control of federal elections to four White House appointees.
Because it requires a computerized text conversion device in every polling place, H.R. 811 would actually require electronic voting machines, effectively ruling out noncomputerized voting methods such as handcounted paper ballots.
For the same reason H.R. 811 would also rule out noncomputerized voter assistive devices that provide better accessiblity features at far less cost, while avoiding the unacceptable risks of secret, computerized vote-counting.
This unnecessary, unproven, as-yet nonexistent text converter device that H.R. 811 requires is a gift to the E-voting industry and an under-funded federal mandate that will impose huge cost burdens on the states... . read more . . .
Then PEN Your Letter to Congress, the Press, and Friends–All at Once!
“This legislation would exacerbate, rather than assist states and counties in addressing these challenges which could lead to disastrous unintended consequences in the 2008 presidential election.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.