Election Integrity News
by Steve Freeman
March 31, 2007
In This Issue Western US Tour – Laudable Local Organizing, a Compelling Story, Audience Potential Election Integrity Community Sucess & the Holt Bill – Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory What to Do
A Sucessful Western Tour
Thanks to the outstanding efforts of local organizers, election attorney Paul Lehto and I recently completed a remarkable tour of eight western US cities
We did ten major, diverse events and more than 20 media interviews. Even when we spoke for more than two hours, not a single person would leave. Often forgotten in the eye-glazing technical details of VVPAT/ HAVA/ HR811 “debates” is that a stolen federal election is a compelling story, one which deeply engages the audience, and would deeply engage most Americans.
Until this tour, I did not believe democracy or truth had much chance to prevail in this endeavor. As a nation our commitment to both is severely enervated. But our audiences led me to believe that vitalization is possible. Together, we constitute an astounding array of intelligence, abilities, and resources. Now if only we could harness this potential …
Read the full story of the tour at electionintegrity.org/WesternTour
Election Integrity Community Sucess & Congressional Action
On many issues, the election integrity community is, amazingly enough, winning: On the need to verify votes and on affirming values, it’s no contest. More generally, vast segments of our nation are waking up, showing an appropriate skepticism for official pronouncements. And let’s not forget that there now IS an election integrity community, one that almost certainly helped restrain corruption in the 2006 election.
Unfortunately, that momentum is endangered. One cannot overstate just how poorly framed the congressional discussion on election reform has been. Democracy is in critical condition – bleeding, bankrupt, obese, and suffering from a malnutrition-induced dementia. And those who have claimed the mantel of election reform want to substitute saccharin for sugar in our soft drinks. They tried this week to “fast track” a deeply flawed bill, Holt HR811.
For full analysis, please read electionintegrity.org/SnatchingDefeat.
What to Do
To reach the public at large and to harness the energy generated in these forums would require resources and sustained efforts, which themselves require a strategic plan and organization.
Democracy and truth depend on all of us. All kinds of help are needed to continue research, investigation, and education. See our website for suggestions. But right now, we especially need leadership, help in generating resources, and high level organizing. If you can help in any of these areas, please write to me and also sign onto our google group, and help lead or participate in our ongoing discussions.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.