Court Backs EPA Chief in 9/11 Toxins Case
By JOSEPH GOLDSTEIN
Staff Reporter of the Sun
April 20, 2007
A federal appellate court has decided that it was not “conscience-shocking” for
the head of the Environmental Protection Agency to have reassured New Yorkers
that the air near ground zero was safe following the September 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks, even if the air was toxic.
Yesterday’s decision by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals throws out a
lawsuit against a former leader of the EPA, Christine Whitman.
The panel of three judges reasoned that the government’s interest in returning
New York to normalcy following the attacks should protect it from lawsuits
alleging that the government made false statements about air quality. The court
did not make any factual finding as to the quality of the air, or as to whether
the EPA had intentionally misled the public,
which Ms. Whitman has denied doing.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.