April 5th, 2007
CONTACT CONGRESS TO BAN DRE
VOTING MACHINES AND AMEND HR 811
Dear VR Members:
HR 811, Congressman Rush Holt’s Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007, must be amended to ban the Direct Record Electronic (DRE) voting machine. DRE victories are electronic and faith based. Even with a paper trail, DRE results are impossible to verify for accuracy and transparency.
DRE ballots are electronic, not paper. Their electronic tally of electronic ballots is official, without check or balance, in 90% of DRE elections – even with a paper trail. Without amendment, HR 811 perpetuates this situation for years to come.
Many well-meaning legislators support HR 811 because they believe its “voter-verified permanent paper ballot” means that from now on, Americans will be voting on paper for security and accuracy. They are mistaken.
In HR 811, the DRE “voter-verified permanent paper ballot” is a paper audit trail. It will be used to check less than 10% of the vote. And studies show that many DRE voters forget or neglect to verify the paper trail.
An election in Orange County, CA was recently overturned in a recount. Absentee ballots were scrutinized for voter intent. Marks on those paper ballots convinced the Registrar in ten cases that the votes had been counted wrong, and the outcome flipped. The DRE paper trail was never used; the DRE votes were recounted electronically.
Despite California’s paper-trail law for DRE audits, a manual recount of the paper trail was deemed too expensive and difficult, so the judge approved the electronic recount. Congressman Holt maintains that his bill would not have allowed this, but Californians thought the same thing when they passed its paper-trail law. Americans must eliminate this situation altogether by banning electric ballots.
DREs can target neighborhoods and minorities for electronic disenfranchisement. Civil rights leader Dolores Huerta recently brought that message recently to Capitol Hill, bearing a study from New Mexico that showed undervote rates soaring when Native Americans and Spanish language voters used DREs. Rates were similar to that in Anglo communities when New Mexicans went to all opti-scanned paper ballots.
DREs, touted as necessary for special-needs voters, are as insecure for those voters’ intent as for others. Touch-screen computers that do not tabulate but assist voters with disabilities and language needs to mark their ballots can restore security to those voters as they improve acessibility.
TELL YOUR CONGRESS MEMBER TODAY: BAN THE DRE!
Members of Congress are home on recess now; call their district offices so they’ll know they can’t leave this problem inside the DC bubble. The list of phone numbers for each office here: http://www.votersunite.org/takeaction/ban-e-ballots.asp
All the best,
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.