Countless White House E-Mails Deleted
By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Thursday, April 12, 2007; 11:24 AM
Countless e-mails to and from many key White House staffers have been deleted — lost to history and placed out of reach of congressional subpoenas — due to a brazen violation of internal White House policy that was allowed to continue for more than six years, the White House acknowledged yesterday.
The leading culprit appears to be President Bush’s enormously influential political adviser Karl Rove, who reportedly used his Republican National Committee-provided Blackberry and e-mail accounts for most of his electronic communication.
Until 2004, all e-mail on RNC accounts was routinely deleted after 30 days. Since 2004, White House staffers using those accounts have been able to save their e-mail indefinitely — but have also been able to delete whatever they felt like deleting. By comparison, the White House e-mail system preserves absolutely everything forever, in accordance with the Presidential Records Act.
In a story first reported by Truthout last year, in a federal court document
filed in January 2006 in US District Court in Washington, DC, Special
Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald revealed that his investigative team “learned
that not all email of the Office of the Vice President and the Executive
Office of the President for certain time periods in 2003 was preserved
through the normal archiving process on the White House computer system.”
That document was filed during the discovery phase of the perjury and
obstruction of justice trial against former vice presidential staffer I.
Lewis “Scooter” Libby.
Investigators Eye Broader White House Email Trail
By Jason Leopold
t r u t h o u t | Report
Thursday 05 April 2007
Last week, Justice Department documents turned over to a Congressional
committee investigating circumstances behind the selective firing of seven
US attorneys revealed that some Bush administration officials have primarily
used email accounts maintained by the Republican National Committee to
conduct official White House business. This appears to be a violation of the
Presidential Records Act.
The revelation that White House staffers used outside email accounts to
conduct administration business comes on the heels of a report in the
National Journal alleging that Karl Rove uses an RNC email address to
conduct a majority of his duties as White House political adviser.
Now Congressional investigators are taking a second look at public
corruption cases it closed the books on. They’ll try to determine if current
and former White House officials were more deeply involved in scandals than
previously known, and if so, whether administration officials used outside
email accounts to cover up their involvement in cronyism or other
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.