CIA recruited Japanese war criminals
By JOSEPH COLEMAN, Associated Press Writer Sat Feb
24,11:29 AM ET
Col. Masanobu Tsuji was a fanatical Japanese militarist
and brutal warrior, hunted after World War II for
massacres of Chinese civilians and complicity in the
Bataan Death March. And then he became a U.S. spy.
Newly declassified CIA records, released by the U.S.
National Archives and examined by The Associated Press,
document more fully than ever how Tsuji and other
suspected Japanese war criminals were recruited by U.S.
intelligence in the early days of the Cold War. The
documents also show how ineffective the effort was, in
the CIA’s view.
The records, declassified in 2005 and 2006 under an act
of Congress in tandem with Nazi war crime-related
files, fill in many of the blanks in the previously
spotty documentation of the occupation authority’s
intelligence arm and its involvement with Japanese
ultra-nationalists and war criminals, historians say.
In addition to Tsuji, who escaped Allied prosecution
and was elected to parliament in the 1950s, conspicuous
figures in U.S.-funded operations included mob boss and
war profiteer Yoshio Kodama, and Takushiro Hattori,
former private secretary to Hideki Tojo, the wartime
prime minister hanged as a war criminal in 1948.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.