Here’s another item that the press should be playing up–especially in light of Jeremy Scahill’s shocking new book, Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. For what that book makes clear, although this AP story doesn’t mention it, is that Blackwater is a Christianist endeavor, whose founder, Erik Prince, is a dedicated and inordinately wealthy player on the theocratic right.
Prince’s crackpot sense of mission, and his lavish paramilitary resources, ought to worry any genuine patriot. No less troubling is Blackwater’s total openness to grizzled veterans of extremely dirty wars throughout the world. (E.g., countless troops trained under Gen. Pinochet are now participating in Bush/Cheney’s “war on terror,” their high salaries paid by your tax dollars.)
And so this AP item is far more important than you’d think from reading its account of the high toll among “civilians working under contract to the Pentagon.” These dead were not merely cooks and truck-drivers and fellas who “did laundry” for Our Troops, but, often, well-paid mercenaries fighting on the payroll of a private corporation with a clear dominionist agenda, and close ties to the Bush regime.
Nearly 800 Iraq contractors killed
Friday, February 23, 2007 2:17 PM
In a largely invisible cost of the war in Iraq, nearly 800 civilians working under contract to the Pentagon have been killed and more than 3,300 hurt doing jobs normally handled by the U.S. military, according to figures gathered by The Associated Press.
Exactly how many of these employees doing the Pentagon’s work are Americans is uncertain. But the casualty figures make it clear that the Defense Department’s count of more than 3,100 U.S. military dead does not tell the whole story.
“It’s another unseen expense of the war,” said Thomas Houle, a retired Air Force reservist whose brother-in-law died while driving a truck in Iraq. “It’s almost disrespectful that it doesn’t get the kind of publicity or respect that a soldier would.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.