By John Gideon, Voters Unite
February 27, 2007
The groups and individuals endorsing this statement commend Rep. Rush Holt for all that is excellent in HR 811, the “Voter Confidence and Increased Accessibility Act of 2007.” However, before we give our endorsement, we want to note the bill’s shortcomings and call for some needed changes:
1. We caution against redefining the term “paper ballots” to include printouts from direct recording electronic (DRE) voting machines. “Paper ballot” should retain its historical definition as a ballot marked by the voter’s hand or by a non-tabulating ballot-marking device.
2. We support continued innovation, and we believe better alternatives will emerge more quickly when DREs cease to distract innovation. To foster this process, the bill must be amended to also allow the development of low-tech innovations to provide accessibility and verifiability to people with disabilities.
3. All recounts must be conducted by hand counting the paper ballots.
4. There must be no undisclosed voting system software.
5. The bill must be amended to ban all Internet connections for all components of a voting system.
6. We believe that the Election Assistance Commission has failed every part of its mission statement. The bill must be amended to extend the authorization through 2008 only, with oversight of the EAC by Congress and the public.
7. The selection of the audit board should be restructured to avoid conflicts with the authority of existing independent election oversight bodies in many states.
We urge the appropriate congressional committees to incorporate these changes into HR 811 and any companion bill introduced into the Senate.
We, the following election integrity organizations and individuals, endorse the above revisions as vital to ensuring accurate, auditable, accessible, and transparent elections in the United States.
In alphabetical order:
Black Box Voting
Broward Election Reform Coalition
Coalition for Voting Integrity (PA)
Las Vegas (NM) Peace & Justice Center
MidHudson Verified Voting
New Yorkers for Verified Voting (NYVV)
Progressive Democrats of America (PDA)
Voting Integrity Alliance of Tampa Bay (VIA Tampa Bay)
If you want to endorse this statement, please email John Gideon.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.