It’s possible that Bush & Co. may use Sequoia not just to depict the Democrats as the main perpetrators of election fraud, but to invalidate the elections altogether.
Please skim through this entire post.
I. There is a huge security defect in Sequoia’s DRE machines.
How to hack Sequoia voting machines
Nov 2, ’06 11:07 PM
(better check those vote totals against the number of voters!!)
Here is how the “Yellow Button Hack” is done:
1. Go to the back of the voting machine. Press and hold the yellow activate button (about 3 seconds). Release when the screen says “waiting for next voter”.
2. Press and hold the yellow button again until the screen says “change to manual activation?”
3. Touch the “Yes” button on the screen.
4. At that point there will be a message on the screen that says “Manual activate voting enabled” (this is just displayed briefly)
5. Next message will read “Waiting for the next voter” When you see that you touch the message that says “start voting” or “resume voting” located in the lower right of the screen The AVC Edge is now set up for poll worker activation mode.
Here is the sequence:
If it’s regular voting (as opposed to provisional)
a. Once you’ve touched the start or resume the “waiting for next voter” appears
b. Activate the ballot by pressing and releasing the yellow activate button
c. Activate the correct party for the voter AND press the yellow activate button using the keypad on the display screen
d. Select the voter’s language if appropriate
e. Vote. (Once the voter has completed voting and cast their ballot. Prepare the Edge for the next voter. If the next voter is a regular voter repeat step B and D above.
You can now vote as many times as you want to.
This information was obtained in a public records request
You will find it in the AVC Edge with VeriVote Printer Poll Worker’s Guide Booklet 5 Troubleshooting Document version 2.01 with date Dec. 29 2005.
II. This defect is nothing new: Sequoia has known about it for some time, according to attorney Paul Lehto, who sued successfully last year to get Sequoia’s DREs largely banned in Snohomish County, Washington. Paul writes:
The yellow button issue has been known to Sequoia since it existed (because it’s a feature of their system — manual mode) but even if the implications escaped them when I sued them in April 2005 on, inter alia, the yellow button they certainly were on notice of the issues. See Complaint link at bottom of page at www.votersunite.org/info/lehtolawsuit.asp
and look at paragraphs 5.20 to 5.24 (on yellow button facts and allegations)
III. Now, computer expert Bruce O’Dell reveals still more details
about Sequoia, and connects the dots:
I’m not issuing this warning lightly, but I think it deserves urgent consideration by the EI movement.
Consider the following facts:
1. On November 1 an election judge volunteer in Arapahoe County, CO reported that in their training session, their Sequoia rep was warning about electoral manipulation, especially that BBV (!) was planning election fraud (original note attached below). He specifically used the phrase “mess with the election”!
2. BradBlog and others have reported the Sequoia “Yellow Button” vulnerability http://www.bradblog.com/?p=3714
– to enable switching a machine to allow multiple voting – is exposed and available on Sequoia equipment.
3. NYT and other mainstream media recently emerged from their long slumber to focus on…. Sequoia’s ties to Venezuela (read Chavez).
Here’s what kept me awake last night – combine all those facts above with the following nightmare scenario:
4. Suppose Democrats win some, even many races by surprising margins; many but not all of these counties turn out to have Sequoia equipment. We are all initially surprised, and before we can figure out what’s happening…
5. Anecdotal reports of “people messing with the machines” surface in those jurisdictions, and so suspicion is immediately cast on Democrat “zealots”, and, of course – get this – by implication the people who’ve demonstrated they knew about the vulnerability all along by actually writing about it, and thereby also being open to accusations of “publicizing” the attack to their “followers”!
6. Bottom line: the EI movement would be publicly discredited in a firestorm of vengeful right wing round-the-clock spin, or even forced to attack Democrats who would have won an honest election, but apparently won via a tainted election. And EI’s findings about other more serious problems elsewhere would go unheard and we would be taken out of the debate in the crucial post-election debate in either case.
This kind of reverse double-whammy – making Democrats who would have won anyway in an honest count, look guilty of fraud by manipulating the vote too much in their favor – would generate the illusion of a stolen election; one stolen by the Democrats. This is the inverse of what happened in 2000, 2002 and 2004 – which involved generating the illusion of electing their own candidates. Obvio
usly it’s the last thing the public expects; even most of the EI movement would be taken by surprise.
The pattern of using an opponent’s strengths against them, to enlist them to advance your own cause – while short circuiting theirs – is so. totally. the. MO. of. Karl. Rove. Just ask Dan Rather.
So what do I think we should do? I think pre-emption is our only option.
Raise an immediate publicity and legal campaign to file an injunction to require Sequoia to physically secure the “yellow button” before any of their machines can be used tomorrow!
IV. Remember that the Bush regime is now “investigating” the alleged connection between Sequoia and Venezulea’s Huge Chavez:
October 29, 2006
U.S. Investigates Voting MachinesÃ• Venezuela Ties
By TIM GOLDEN
The federal government is investigating the takeover last year of a leading American manufacturer of electronic voting systems by a small software company that has been linked to the leftist Venezuelan government of President Hugo Chavez
The inquiry is focusing on the Venezuelan owners of the software company, the Smartmatic Corporation, and is trying to determine whether the government in Caracas has any control or influence over the firmÃ•s operations, government officials and others familiar with the investigation said.
V. Here is where Sequoia’s product will be used throughout the nation on Election Day–and, therefore, where the pending Democratic victories may well be NULLIFIED:
As of October, various machines from Sequoia were certified for use in Arizona, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT THIS DANGER FAR AND WIDE RIGHT NOW