Investigators: Political Phone Messages May Be Illegal In N.H.
POSTED: 11:48 pm EST November 3, 2006
UPDATED: 12:09 am EST November 4, 2006
CONCORD, N.H. — It turns out that some of the political phone messages Granite Staters are receiving as Election Day nears may be illegal. The issue revolves around the national Do Not Call registry.
A homeowner in Hillsboro received the same message several times in one day. It began by stating it had information about Paul Hodes, the Democratic challenger for the 2nd Congressional District.
After a few seconds, the ad turns on the attack. It isn’t until the end that you find out it was sponsored by the Republican National Congressional Committee.
“I think this is wrong,” said Martha Child. “When you go out to campaign, you say what you believe. You use radio, TV and other things. I don’t think you call up and say, ‘So-and-so is nasty’ on someone’s private line.”
Child’s frustration with the ad caused her to file a complaint with the New Hampshire attorney general’s office. Her telephone number is listed on the Do Not Call registry, and she felt that she shouldn’t have received the calls.
“It is not permissable to send prerecorded political calls to individuals who are on the Do Not Call list in New Hampshire,” said Assistant Attorney General Jim Kennedy.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.