Today is the end of the electronic voting machine
Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 12:04:06 PM PST
Republicans are complaining about voting irregularities as loudly as we are today. A Republican governor, two Republican congressmen turned away from the polls. Votes supposedly switching in electronic voting machines in New Jersey. Complaints coming from New Mexico and elsewhere.
Here’s the bottom line — no one trusts those machines anymore. And not only do they damage the integrity of our democracy, but they give losing campaigns an excuse to grandstand and further erode faith in our system. Paper ballots (or optical scan) is a solution, but it doesn’t solve the problem of voter turnout, voter intimidation, the problems with inclement weather, and lack of voter education when entering the booth.
Jeremy Wright has led a campaign to promote Oregon-style vote by mail (which is now in place in most of Washington state). He just posted a diary on the mechanics of it.
It’s clear the current system is broken. We have dumped hundreds of millions of dollars and it’s not getting any better. Time to cut our losses and look at the most sensible solution available.
Voter participation: It increases turnout — 84 percent of registered Oregonians voted this year.
Convenience: People can vote according to their schedule.
Education: People have time to study issues and candidates before voting.
Fraud protection: It has built-in safeguards that increase the integrity of the elections process.
Built-in paper trail.
Voter eligibility: Built-in time to resolve disputes.
Actual results are released when polls close as opposed to unreliable “exit polls.”
Financial: It saves money.
And it’s still a secret ballot:
Oregon’s Vote by Mail system is simple and straightforward. Ballots are mailed 14 to 18 days before an election to the registered address of the voter; the voter has two weeks to return the ballot through the mail or by dropping it off at official drop-off sites. The voter must sign the outside of the envelope (the ballot is sealed in a separate envelope inside) and that signature is checked against the signature on file with the elections division.
But whether it’s vote by mail or something else, it’s looking increasingly clear, with the discontent on both sides of the partisan divide, that political pressure for change will be intense.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.