From: Barbara Simons <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: October 25, 2006 1:20:19 PM EDT
Subject: [ElectionIntegrity] a report on a new DoD Internet voting scheme
My colleagues David Jefferson, Avi Rubin, David Wagner and I have just
released a short paper about the government’s IVAS system that involves
absentee voting using email and fax and ballot distribution over the
We believe this system poses significant risks, as described in this
excerpt from our article:
In summary, we see three main risks:
1. Tool One exposes soldiers to risks of identity theft. Sending
personally identifiable information via unencrypted email is considered
poor practice. No bank would ask their customers to send SSNs over
unencrypted email, yet Tool One does exactly that. This problem is
exacerbated by potential phishing attacks.
2. Returning voted ballots by email or fax creates an opportunity for
hackers, foreign governments, or other parties to tamper with those
ballots while they are in transit. FVAP’s system does not include any
meaningful protection against the risk of ballot modification.
3. Ballots returned by email or fax may be handled by the DoD in some
cases. Those overseas voters using the system sign a waiver of their
right to a secret ballot. However, it is one thing for a voter’s
ballot to be sent directly to their local election official; it is
another for a soldier’s ballot to be sent to and handled by the DoD –
who is, after all, the soldier’s employer.
Please help us circulate the document.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.