From Mary Kiraly:
The scenario suggested by Robert Plotner is something I have worried about all year: the spectacle of a real election integrity fight, waged by Republicans. I agree that the fight could well begin in Maryland if Governor Ehrlich loses, or sees the election being called for Martin O’Malley while thousands of absentee ballots are not yet counted.
Maryland Democrats have spent the year defending the Diebold election system, and Administrator Lamone.
They have blamed the local boards of elections for failures during the Primary that were linked to the selection of Diebold paperless touchscreen voting and the implementation of the Diebold E-Poll Books. The local Boards did not purchase these systems. They were selected by the Democratic Legislature, under the guidance of Ms. Lamone.
But even without Maryland, the Democratic Party has backed itself into a strategic corner by failing to address the wide range of vote suppression tactics that have unfolded over six years, and have been perpetrated on their constituents. Democrats have repeatedly made the mistake of thinking that they can compensate for vote suppression tactics aimed at people of color, poor people, and progressives, with fund raising and turnout drives.
The most disheartening aspect of the possibility Prof.
Plotner suggests, is the potential for election integrity experts and activists to be called to testify on behalf of Republicans challenging the election technology.
I hope on November 8, we can look back and say that we had overestimated the ability of those who have profited from corrupted elections, to use the corruption of the election system as a tool in their defense. It could make the Healthy Forest and Clear Skies Initiatives look like the play things of children.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.