September 1, 2006
Judge Delays Felon Vote Order in Ala.
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A judge has delayed his ruling allowing felons to vote until after the Nov. 7 general election and until the state Supreme Court can review the issue.
Circuit Judge Robert Vance Jr. agreed to stay much of his order, which held that felons could vote until the Legislature clarifies a law that bars voting by felons convicted of a crime of ”moral turpitude.” His ruling last week said the state law does not define what crimes involve moral turpitude.
Vance said he hopes the Legislature will take up the issue in its next session and define crimes to be covered by the voting ban.
Vance’s ruling came in a lawsuit filed in Jefferson County by Richard Gooden, who lost his right to vote in 2000 when he was convicted of felony driving under the influence.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.