This refers to the piece I sent out yesterday, under the heading “Paper ballots + computerized voting = no real progress.”
>*General Distribution* of the essay “Paper Ballots a Step Backwards”
>is in my opinion unhelpful to our collective efforts, and confusing
>to the public as well, because it does the following things:
>(1) Trashes paper and/or paper ballots
>(2) Praises voting machines, albeit only one certain type of machine (levers)
>(3) Cites MIT/Caltech with approval (we’re in trouble if everyone
>(4) reinforces the meme that paper=backwards when paper=visibility +
>checks and balances which is what we really need, and in fact paper
>ballot systems constitute the most advanced system of checks and
>balances every developed by humanity for elections, when done right
>(of course, many elections officials are too lazy or corrupt to do
>In contrast, most people agree paper ballots are the ideal, but can
>only be done in rural counties, and are not realistic where there
>are large numbers of ballots like big cities. However, ballots
>require a certain number of volunteer or paid workers per thousand
>ballots, and there’s really no reason why cities can not possibly
>get the same number of workers per thousand ballots! The total
>population of people, in other words, is irrelevant because it also
>increases the size of the pool of workers available at the polls,
>and presumably cities are in a better position to PAY if necessary.
>Even if some objections are still dreamed up to paper ballots hand
>counted, there’s really NO EXCUSE for writing off this high
>transparency, public supervisable, secure system on account of “it
>To summarize, while I tend to agree with some of the specific
>conclusions or most of them, the framing here hurts us by creating a
>negative impression of paper, which is a viable system all by itself
>(and as a backup if necessary). There’s already way too much
>anti-paper propaganda out there from elections officials, because
>for their purposes being anti-paper means being anti-accountability,
>anti-work and pro-convenience. But, that’s the life of a public
>*servant*, accountability, work and lack of convenience.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.