We are having problems all across the state in the MD primary. Early in the morning, the machines could not be used because the voter “smart cards,” used to download the appropriate ballot face, had not been delivered to the precincts.
Early arrivals were being given provisional ballots to vote on. One Democratic Area Coordinator reported that voters were concerned to see the completed provisonal ballots being stacked on chairs in the voting station.
In places where the Diebold AccuVote TS machines were up and working, voters reported problems with trying to record their selections. Long lines may be a problem all day as Maryland uses Diebold e-poll books for the first time for voter check in. There were reports of voters leaving in disgust over long waits.
Baltimore media outlets had reported calls from angry voters in 30-40 precincts around the city. The Washington Post had been swamped with calls before the Metro Desk was open.
It is going to be a long day for voters, and a long night for Boards of Election workers, trying to count the vote.
Unfortunately, activists have been predicting that it might take an election meltdown to force the Legislatlure and the State Board of Elections to address the vulnerabilities and flaws in paperless touchscreen voting. They may be getting that message at last.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.