James Moore and Wayne Slater’s ‘The Architect: Karl Rove and the Master Plan for Absolute Power’
By James Henson
SPECIAL TO THE AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Saturday, September 02, 2006
“There is no more compelling subject in contemporary American politics, and perhaps in our country’s electoral history, than Karl Christian Rove,” James Moore and Wayne Slater write on the first page of their new book.
Though such hyperbole is unnecessary, it doesn’t detract fatally from “The Architect.” Moore, an Austin-based journalist, and Slater, senior political writer for The Dallas Morning News, paint a sharp portrait of an intelligent, ruthless and deeply cynical man. Though this is their second book on Rove (after 2003’s “Bush’s Brain”), there’s little overlap. “Bush’s Brain” focused on Rove’s rise and the development of his association with George W. Bush; “The Architect” focuses on how he pursued the creation of an enduring Republican hegemony.
The Architect: Karl Rove and the Master Plan for Absolute Power James Moore and Wayne Slater Crown Books, $25.95 On sale Tuesday
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.