To the Editor of the Washington Post
In his op-ed column “México: Democracy Under Threat”
Enrique Krause gives a delightful short history of
democracy in México. Oddly, however, he asserts that
“[2006 presidential candidate] López Obrador isn’t the
heir of liberal democrats Benito Juárez and Francisco
I. Madero, but of Porfirio DÃaz and Victoriano Huerta,
the coup leaders who smothered Mexico’s two initial
attempts at democracy.” In fact, like Juárez and
Madero, López Obrador has dedicated his life to
improving the lot of lower income citizens, while Díaz
and Huerta were military generals unswervingly
friendly to big business. A notable omission in Dr.
Krause’s history was populist Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas’
early lead in his 1988 bid for the Mexican presidency,
which mysteriously vanished after a computer crash.
In the 2004 U.S. Election, the exit polls showed Kerry
leading nationally by nearly 3% all day long, but
following a computer blackout they had him losing by
about 3%. Dr. Krause wonders what Americans would
have thought had Kerry claimed “massive fraud” and
asked his followers to protest on the Mall in
Washington. I wonder too.
San Carlos, Sonora, México
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.