DEMOCRACY DENIED: SAN DIEGO JUDGE DISMISSES BUSBY/BILBRAY ELECTION CONTEST ON JURISDICTIONAL GROUNDS!
Finds Rushed Swearing in of Presumed Winner Bilbray by U.S. House – Just 7 Days After Election and 16 Days Before Certification – Transferred Power to Decide Election Outcome to Congress
California Voters, Courts Left Powerless to Challenge Illegally Administered Election According to Ruling
A judge in the San Diego challenge to the Francine Busby/Brian Bilbray U.S. House Special Election in California’s 50th Congressional District has found in favor of the defendents motion to dismiss the case based on jurisdictional grounds, The BRAD BLOG has learned.
We have covered the defendants argument, that the swearing in of Bilbray just seven days after the election, and a full 16 days prior to certification by San Diego County, transferred power to decide any election challenges from the California courts to the U.S. House of Representatives. Those arguments are discussed in detail in several previous BRAD BLOG articles (here, here, here and here.)
We will have extended comments from Lehto here shortly…
The defendants attempts to force plaintiffs to cover the cost of attorneys fees (a so-called “SLAPP back” motion) was denied by Judge Yuri Hofmann based on the same jurisdicational arguments used to dismiss the case, according to the plaintiff’s attorney, Paul Lehto. Since the California court has no jurisdication to adjudicate an election contest for a California U.S. House election, it also has no jurisidiction to find against plaintiffs in the “SLAPP back” motion, says Lehto.
VelvetRevolution.us is now collecting donations to help defray the cost of an appeal of this ruling.
Hofmann’s tentative ruling, which is now the final ruling as of this afternoon, is posted in full at the URL belowÅ
FULL STORY: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=3353
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.