Activists: Advisory Proves Blackwell Suppressing Vote
Friday, August 04, 2006
Plain Dealer Bureau Chief
Columbus — Voting-rights activists on Thursday produced what they said is the most compelling evidence to date that Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell is trying to suppress the vote in November.
In an advisory that contradicts a provision in the voter-reform bill legislators passed last year, Blackwell’s office informed county boards of election on June 5 that voters must present a photo ID “showing the voter’s name and current address” to cast a regular ballot.
That conflicts with the new law, which permits a person to vote by regular ballot even if the ID — typically a driver’s license — has the voter’s former address.
After ignoring the activists groups’ entreaties since early June — even after they threatened to go public — Blackwell’s office sent an e-mail to all 88 county elections boards Thursday. It reiterated instructions the office sent in May that voters who present an ID with a former address may cast a regular ballot if they provide the last four digits from their ID card.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.