Be sure to read the commentary by Bruce O’Dell, below:
Paper Ballots Are A Step Backward
8/31/2006 – Chautauqua County has never had trouble with voting
machines going awry and throwing elections into the courts. Nor has
New York state, for that matter. The accuracy and the ease of use of
the mechanical-lever machines have not been an issue. In fact, the
simplicity and dependability of these machines have earned them
something that is absolutely essential in our republic: citizen
confidence that the heart of our democracy, voting and elections,
work as they should.
Under pressure from the federal Help America Vote Act, this very
adequate and dependable way we vote has to change – and, we learned
last week, become more expensive.
The federal act requires New York, and every state to switch to
something electronic. The choices are optical scan – essentially an
old-fashioned paper ballot system that uses a computer to read and
tabulate each individual ballot marked by a voter with a special pen
– and touch-screen computer systems, which seem to be prone to
Commentary by Bruce O’Dell:
The author has a point; the 2001 Caltech/MIT Voting Project’s study on the
accuracy of voting systems showed that lever machines had the lowest
residual vote rate and “margin of error”, followed closely by hand-counted
paper ballots. See here for an in-depth analysis of the report’s findings – it’s a
fascinating article published by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.
The key finding of the 2001 report is that all attempts to improve the
voting process through computer automation have measurably decreased
accuracy. In fact, when you look at factors such as party-line voting, the
accuracy of lever systems and DREs may even be overstated. If so, the
evidence may support hand-counted paper as the most accurate of all known
methods for tallying votes.
One interesting findings is the apparent higher cost of hand-counted paper
ballots is more than compensated for by total cost of ownership of the
electronic alternatives. Of course, when the overriding concerns of
accuracy and security are factored in, there’s no question that the
deployment en masse of electronic voting technology will be viewed by
historians of technology as an epic blunder unprededented in the annals of
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.