‘News Junkie’ breaks his own story
By Brittany Anas, Camera Staff Writer
July 16, 2006
I wonder how many college journalism students would seek out careers as reporters if “News Junkie” was on their required reading lists.
There are the behind-the-scene tours of newsrooms and bureaus that author Jason Leopold takes his readers on â€” complete with a condescending editor, a sloppy slaughter-house copyeditor and competitive senior reporters too greedy to share bylines. As an editor himself, Leopold rules with profanities, and a hammer at his computer to hurry along reporters on deadline.
There’s also the lump-in-the-stomach feeling Leopold describes when his sources accuse him of sloppy reporting or demand a correction. And the betrayed-by-the-world disgust when his editors don’t stand behind him in a Hollywood libel suit.
It’s a far cry from “Murphy Brown.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.