Although it certainly does not insure that every vote will be appropriately counted, this is a good start.
Quote of the day: “Touch-screen technology, in its current state of development, is simply not ready for ‘prime time’ here in Connecticut,” Secretary of State Bysiewicz said.
Secretary of State’s Decision To Buy Diebold AccuVote Puts Connecticut’s Mandatory Audit Provision In Question
Bysiewicz said her office decided against purchasing touch screen voting machines after hearing concerns from thousands of citizens, academics and advocacy groups about problems with the devices. “Touch-screen technology, in its current state of development, is simply not ready for ‘prime time’ here in Connecticut,” she said.
DNC Announces Expanded National Voter Protection Effort
August 3, 2006
Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean today announced the DNC’s expanded national voter protection efforts. In addition to the establishment of a national voter protection hotline and the placement of election protection staff in 15 key states, the DNC is implementing a comprehensive series of efforts aimed at helping Americans register to vote, learn how and where to cast their ballot, and provide assistance in overcoming Republican-led efforts to suppress voter turnout for the November elections.
These voter protection initiatives are part of Governor Dean’s unprecedented investment in Democratic get-out-the-vote efforts for the 2006 elections. Under his leadership, the DNC has committed $12 million to help elect Democrats at every level in 38 states across America–roughly 10 times the hard money the DNC spent four years ago for coordinated campaigns.
The DNC’s new national hotline, 1-888-DEM-VOTE, builds on the tremendous success of the toll-free number established in March 2006 by the DNC Voting Rights Institute to provide information about how and where displaced New Orleans residents could vote and to help Indiana voters disenfranchised by the Republican voter ID law passed by Indiana Republicans. It will provide critical assistance to voters all across the country, including in key electoral targets and in states facing Republican challenges to the right to vote by providing poll location information, assistance in applying for absentee ballots, and help reporting voting problems before, during, and after Election Day.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.